Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tell Your Member of Congress: Treat Bi-National Couples Equally!

From Julie Kruse (pictured), policy director at Immigration Equality:

Great News! Rep. Jerrold Nadler plans to reintroduce the Uniting American Families Act on Feb. 12!

You can make the bill a success by convincing your Representative to support the bill from Day One. Reintroducing the bill with as many cosponsors as possible will show powerful momentum for the rights of gay and lesbian binational couples!

Please call your Representative and ask them to be a cosponsor of the “Uniting American Families Act of 2009”It’s easy!

- Find out who your U.S. House Representative is. Go to http://www.congressmerge.com/, enter your address, and you will be provided the name of your U.S. Representative.

- Call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202)224-3121 and ask to be connected to your U.S. Representative.

- Tell your representative’s staff:

I am calling to ask Representative ________________ to be a cosponsor of the Uniting American Families Act of 2009. To cosponsor, he/she must contact Rep. Jerrold Nadler who is the lead sponsor.

The U.S. government discriminates against gay and lesbian binational couples by not allowing us to sponsor our foreign-born life partners for immigration. Because of this, we face the terrible choice of separating from the person we love or leaving our country. As Americans, we should not have to choose between family and country. Please ask Rep. _________________ to cosponsor the Uniting American Families Act of 2009.

Thanks for asking your member of Congress to celebrate love this Valentine’s Day by cosponsoring UAFA!

1 comment:

Mitch D. said...

I made the call to Rush Holt's office, and it was received in a nice manner.