The House of Representatives hopes to vote on health reform this week. After months of hard work from so many PFLAG members advocating for specific provisions to improve the health and well-being of our LGBT loved ones, reforming health care as we know it is almost a reality. But, we still need your help to get to the finish line! We need you to tell your representative to vote YES on health care reform.
E-mail Your Representative TODAY!
It is crucial for the LGBT community that this bill passes. While the reform package isn't perfect, it is a huge step forward in making health care more affordable and accessible for more individuals, including the LGBT community. The bill includes:
• Improved data collection for at-risk groups - with our continued lobbying, this will likely include sexual orientation and gender identity demographic categories
• Non-discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in federal grants for mental health education and training
• $8.5 billion in funds for community health centers, including LGBT health community centers
• Prohibition of insurance exclusions based on pre-existing conditions
• Extension of insurance coverage to approximately 31 million uninsured people
Take action now: tell your representative to pass health reform today! Access to competent and affordable healthcare is out of reach for far too many of our LGBT loved ones.