Thank you for your generous support of PFLAG National during 2010. We wouldn’t be able to do our critical work fighting for LGBT equality without the investment of friends like you.
Briefly, here are just a couple highlights of what we were able to accomplish this year with your help:
• PFLAG National conducted 10 state and regional conferences across the country this year reaching members in their communities with trainings and resources;
• We helped make schools safer by conducting 7 Cultivating Respect Safe Schools train-the-trainer workshops which allow our members to go into schools and engage school personnel on issues of harassment and bullying;
• At the Federal level, we worked with the Department of Education (DOE), Office of Civil Rights to launch the Claim Your Rights Campaign with GLSEN which educates families on how to file claims with DOE when their child has been the victim of bullying and harassment. To date, we have already had families across the country filing claims on behalf of their kids;
• In the Spring, we hired a full-time diversity outreach associate to help engage more diverse communities in PFLAG’s work and began advertising PFLAG’s diversity outreach grants which help establish best practices for chapter’s doing diversity outreach work;
• We provided 37 Straight for Equality in the Workplace consultation and training sessions in corporations across the country, helping them to invite, educate and engage straight people to become allies for equality. We launched our Straight for Equality in Healthcare resources and provided consultation and training sessions in a variety of healthcare venues; and we piloted a new Straight for Equality in Faith training for our chapters in California, laying the foundation for new national resources for all of our chapters in 2011;
• This year, we had an amazing presence on Capitol Hill with a record 245 lobby visits on issues as varied as the Every Child Deserves a Family Act and the Safe Schools Improvement Act to the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell and working towards the passage of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act. Additionally, we facilitated numerous in-district meetings by PFLAG members in targeted Congressional districts, showcasing the powerful influence that PFLAG families have in their local communities. Our members used the 2010 edition of Bringing the Message Home, PFLAG's guide to how to lobby on issues to make their meetings effective.
• We launched our First Annual Los Angeles PFLAG Event to elevate the profile of PFLAG in the entertainment industry, and we held our Second Annual Straight for Equality Awards Gala, the only national event designed exclusively to honor our straight allies in their work on LGBT equality.
This work was able to happen because of the support that people like you provide PFLAG National.
As you are making your charitable contributions this holiday season, please consider making a special gift to PFLAG National of just $25, $50, $100, or more. By making a tax-deductible gift to PFLAG National you will enable us to expand our work in 2011 to keep families together, educate the public and advocate for equal rights and fair treatment for LGBT people and their families.
Thank you in advance for your generosity and continued partnership with PFLAG National, and thank you for being an integral part of moving equality forward!
Jody M. Huckaby
Executive Director, PFLAG National
P.S. Looking for a good resolution for 2011? Please consider a commitment to support PFLAG's work throughout the New Year. We can help make keeping your resolution easy. Check out our Guardian Program -- you'll be able to make a monthly contribution to support PFLAG's work for equality each month and know that you are making our mission a lived reality for thousands of people across the country!