Participants will learn how to:
- Employ effective ways to increase inclusion for LGBT people
- Approach LGBT inclusion through inviting, educating, and engaging straight allies at work
- Guide potential straight allies in their own “coming out” process on the way to being supportive of LGBT colleagues
- Help straight allies resolve their own conflicts around this topic and in finding workplace-appropriate ways to express support
- Align this effort with your larger diversity and inclusion efforts
As many of you already know, Straight for Equality is a national outreach and education project created in 2007 by Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) National to empower allies who don’t necessarily have a personal connection to the gay community. Our work with parents and families over the past 40 years has helped us learn that there is a ‘coming out’ process for straight allies that can and should not be ignored.
Since the launch of our Straight for Equality in the Workplace training program we have had the opportunity to train nearly 5,000 people and work with more than 50 companies nationwide. More than 12,000 people have signed the Straight for Equality Pledge. And we’re here to be sure that all straight allies have the opportunity to share their strong and powerful voice in support of equality. You can learn more about some of the training programs offered by PFLAG National and Straight for Equality here.
The personal stories of how and why we came to support equality for GLBT people are a significant advantage that straight allies possess. We would love to help you learn how to share that story. Please join us on December 8th!